From: Dad (Joe Proulx), 2000-2001
o 1 ˝ to 2 pounds lean stew beef, cubed
o 3 to 4 tablespoons oil
o 3 large carrots, cut into ˝ inch chunks or ˝ pound baby carrots
o 3 large potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
o 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (1 cup pre-chopped)(1/2 cup dried onion + 1/2 cup water)(Publix brand: 2 tablespoons = 1/2 cup)
o 3 large cloves garlic, chopped (1 ˝ tablespoons)
o 3 or 4 tablespoons flour
o 2 or 3 beef bouillon cubes, dissolved in 1 or 2 cups water (broth)
o 1 cup red wine (optional)
o 2 bay leaves or 1 teaspoon crushed bay leaves
o ˝ teaspoon rosemary
o ˝ teaspoon thyme
o 2 tablespoons parsley
1. Cut fat off of beef and brown in a little oil in batches (don’t crowd pan).
2. Remove to casserole dish or Dutch oven (casserole must have a cover).
3. Saute onions and garlic in oil after meat, using same pan (approximately 2 or 3 minutes).
4. Add flour to pan and stir among onions. (no more than 1 minute)
5. Add wine if using, otherwise 1 cup water and de-glaze pan (scrape to dissolve browned bits of meat & veggies.
6. Add to casserole with other veggies, spices and broth.
7. Simmer covered in oven at 220 to 230 degrees for 3 or 4 hours.
Notes: You can also buy round steak or boneless chuck and cut it yourself.
If you use Teflon-coated pan to brown everything, scrape w/ plastic or wood spatula.
If using a slow-cooker, cook everything on high for 1 hour and then drop to the low setting and let simmer for 6 to 8 hours or until meat & veggies are cooked through.