Proulx Pot Roast
From: Dad (Joe Proulx), 2000-2001
o 3 to 4 pounds beef roast (chuck roast)
o 1 cup water
o 1 can beef bouillon or consommé
o 2 cups wine (red or white)
o 2 carrots, cut into chunks
o 2 onions, Quartered (1 cup of dried onions + 1 cup water)(Publix brand: 4 tablespoons = 1 cup)
o 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
o 2 bay leaves
o ˝ teaspoon thyme
o 4 to 5 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
o Oil (enough to coat skillet)
1. Season beef roast with salt and pepper.
2. Brown in lightly oiled Teflon skillet on all sides.
3. Add water, beef bouillon, wine, bay leaves, and thyme.
4. Cover and simmer for about 2 hours.
5. Add vegetables and simmer for an additional hour.
6. Remove beef from pan onto plate, cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.
7. Slice and add veggies around.
Notes: This recipe can also be prepared in a crock pot. Cook all ingredients on high for 1 hour and then set the pot to low and let cook for 6 to 8 hours or until veggies and potatoes are thoroughly cooked. We have assembled the ingredients and started the cooking at 10 p.m. on the night before and let the pot simmer until mid-afternoon on the following day without any adverse effects. The roast is so moist it falls apart as you move it to the separate plate, but it is very tasty.