Mom’s Banana Nut Tea Bread
From: Grandma (Mom Smith)
o 1 ¾ cups flour
o 2 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
o ½ teaspoon salt
o 1/3 cup (5 tablespoons) shortening
o 2/3 cup sugar
o 2 eggs (beaten)
o 1 cup mashed, ripe bananas (2 to 3)
o ½ cup chopped nuts
1. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. Beat shortening until creamy in large mixing bowl.
3. Add sugar gradually to shortening and continue beating until light and fluffy.
4. Add nuts to eggs and add to shortening mixture.
5. Add bananas and mix well.
6. Add flour mixture a small amount at a time, mixing after each addition enough to moisten dry ingredients.
7. Turn into a greased loaf pan (8½ x 4½ x 2½ inches).
8. Bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into its center comes out clean.
Notes: For a holiday tea bread, add 1 cup mixed candied fruit, ¼ cup raisins, and ½ cup chopped nuts to egg mixture.