Italian Easter Bread
From: I don’t know, but Lenny made this on several Easters
o 2 ¾ to 3 ¼ cups unsifted flour
o ¼ cup sugar
o 1 teaspoon salt
o 1 package Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast
o 2/3 cup milk
o 2 tablespoons margarine
o 2 eggs (at room temperature)
o ½ cup mixed candied fruits
o ¼ cup chopped Blanched Almonds
o ½ teaspoon anise seed
o Melted margarine
o 5 colored RAW EGGS
o Confectioners sugar frosting
o Colored sprinkles
1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast.
2. Heat milk and 2 tablespoons margarine in a saucepan over low heat until liquid is warm (120 to 130 degrees).
3. Add to dry ingredients, beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
4. Add 2 eggs and ½ flour.
5. Beat at high for 2 minutes.
6. Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough.
7. Turn onto floured board, knead 8 to 10 minutes.
8. Place in greased bowl, turn, cover, let rise until doubled; about 1 to 2 hours.
9. Punch dough down, turn onto floured board.
10. Knead in fruits, almonds, and anise seed.
11. Divide in half.
12. Roll each piece of dough into a 24 inch rope.
13. Twist ropes together loosely, form into a ring on a greased baking sheet.
14. Brush with melted margarine.
15. Place colored eggs into spaces in the twist.
16. Cover, let rise until doubled; about 1 to 2 hours
17. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until done.
18. Remove from baking sheet and cool.
19. Frost ring and decorate with sprinkles.
Notes: Makes 1 ring